If you enjoy physical challenge, solving problems and testing your limits, this course could be your first step towards a range of exciting careers and study options. Our Level 1 Diploma in Sport, Fitness and Preparation for the Uniformed Services aims to provide you with an understanding of the Sport and Uniformed Public Services industry. You will develop an understanding of the personal commitment, fitness requirements and skills that are needed for these industries as well as an understanding of the importance of being organised and working together. The objective of this qualification is to help inform and prepare you for the Sport industry and Uniformed Public Services and enable you to prepare to make an application or provide a basis for further study and progression towards the entry qualifications required to start a career in this sector.
What will I learn?
You will study a variety of units throughout the year, including:
• Being Organised - Developing key techniques to help organise work and priorities and manage your time effectively.
• Developing a Personal Progression Plan for the Sport industry and Uniformed Public Services - Developing the skills and behaviours needed to progress to the next stage in your learning by identifying progression opportunities and creating a plan to enable you to get there.
• Working with others in the Sport industry and Uniformed Public Services - Developing skills in communication, teamwork and problem solving that will enable you to work effectively with other people on a given activity.
• Researching a Topic for the Sport industry and Uniformed Public Services - Developing the skills needed to carry out some outline research into an agreed topic. You will keep a record of your investigation and then present a summary of your findings.
• How Exercise Affects the Body - Discover how exercise affects the body by carrying out tests and collecting and interpreting results.
• Training for Fitness for the Sport industry and Uniformed Public Services - Developing skills in planning and delivering training sessions to improve fitness. Within this unit, you will learn about fitness testing used by the sport industry and a uniformed service and about the required standards of physical fitness.
• Playing Sport - Practical based unit developing the skills and techniques needed for different sports and will review your own performance. Coaching Skills in Sport and Uniformed Public Services - developing planning and coaching skills in sport by participating in practical activities.
• Assisting in a Sport Activity for the Sport industry and Uniformed Public Services - Developing the leadership skills needed to assist in delivering a sporting activity.
• Contributing to running a sports event for the Sport industry and Uniformed Public Services - Developing the skills needed to contribute to planning and running a one-off sports event.
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
You will be continually assessed through practical observation and written assessment.
The qualification achieved will be BTEC Level 1 Introductory Diploma in Sport and is graded as Pass, Merit and Distinction.
Directed self-study is required and a completed portfolio of work is handed in and assessed during and at the end of the course. You are also assessed on punctuality, attendance and physical fitness.
• 4 GCSEs at grade 2 or above (or equivalent) including English and maths.
• You should be physically and medically fit, enthusiastic and willing to work hard.
• You will need to attend a selection day and interview at the College.
Additional Costs and Information
Expeditions and outdoor activities are an important part of this course and are compulsory – these will cost £200.
You will also need some personal items, such as a waterproof jacket, trousers and rucksack for use during some of the expeditions and activities.
Uniform needs to be purchased at a cost of approximately £150 and is available to order via the online College shop.
The College offers financial assistance for these costs for learners who are eligible to receive it. Contact our customer services team at the College for further details and a bursary application form.
This is a physically demanding course that will require continual fitness training and testing.
You will be required to undertake a minimum of 30 hours of work experience with the British Army.
What Could I Do Next?
Upon successful completion, you should be prepared for the entrance tests into the sport industry and the public services. If you achieve the correct grades in English and maths, then following a successful interview you will be able to progress on to the Level 2 Diploma in Entry to the Uniformed Public Services or Level 2 Extended Certificate in Sport.