Do you love adventure, solving problems and taking on challenges? This course could lead you to an exciting and fulfilling career in the military or uniformed services like the police, fire rescue, army, RAF and more. A wide range of activities will help you develop the skills and qualities essential for your career, such as teamwork, communication, problem solving, navigation and drill. You’ll build your understanding of the fitness and personal commitment required for the uniformed services, and of the importance of health and hygiene in those roles. Throughout this Level 2 qualification, you’ll build an understanding of the sector and investigate your career opportunities, including taking a mock interview for a uniformed service. By the end of the course, you’ll feel prepared to study further and progress towards the entry requirements for a specific service.
What will I learn?
You’ll study a variety of units throughout the year, including:
• Investigate employment in the uniformed services
• Physical fitness for the uniformed services
• Develop team working and problem-solving skills
• Health and Safety in the uniformed services
• Follow uniformed service routine
• Exploring equality and diversity for the uniformed services
• Carry out map reading and navigation
• Undertake adventurous activities
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
You will be continually assessed through practical observation and written assignments and will be required to do some directed self-study outside of classroom hours. You’ll put together a portfolio of work and you’ll also be assessed on your attendance, punctuality and physical fitness. The qualification is graded between pass, merit and distinction.
• 4 GCSEs at grade 3 (D) or above, including English and maths, or successful completion of a relevant subject at Level 1.
• You should be physically and mentally fit, enthusiastic and willing to work hard.
• You will need to attend a selection day and interview at the College.
Additional Costs and Information
Expeditions and outdoor activities form a crucial part of the course and are compulsory – these cost £200. You will also need some personal items, such as a waterproof jacket, trousers and rucksack for use during some of the expeditions and activities.
You will need to purchase uniform for the course, which costs approximately £74. This is available through the College’s online shop.
The College offers financial assistance for these costs for learners who are eligible to receive it. Contact our customer services team at the College for further details and a bursary application form.
You will be required to undertake a minimum of 30 hours of work experience with the British Army. This is also a physically demanding course that will require continual fitness training and testing.