This course is an ideal starting point if you’re interested in a career in bricklaying. You’ll learn all aspects of basic bricklaying including mixing mortar, cutting components and laying bricks and blocks, building your skills so that by the end of the year you’ll be able to build a straight brick wall to a good standard. You will learn in a specialist construction training environment using industry-standard equipment and be taught by experienced tutors. The course can lead towards further qualifications, including the Level 2 Diploma in Bricklaying, or to an apprenticeship in the industry.
What will I learn?
You will study a range of topics including:
• Safe working practices in construction
• Information, quantities and communicating with others
• Building methods and construction technology
• Basic block laying skills
• Basic bricklaying skills
• Basic cavity walling
• Setting out and building basic masonry structures up to damp course level
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
You will be assessed through a combination of practical and theory assessments and assignments. You will also need to pass an end-of-year multiple choice test.
You will need to allocate time to revise for the end-of-year exam.
• 4 GCSEs at grade 2 (E) or above including English and maths (or equivalent).
• A good reference.
• A satisfactory interview and skills assessment.
Additional Costs and Information
You will need to supply your own safety boots, overalls and stationery.
What Could I Do Next?
Having successfully completed the course you can progress on to a Level 2 Diploma in Bricklaying or you may be able to move on to a brickwork apprenticeship with the College and a local builder. This will enable you to work towards a Cskills Award and gain a Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Trowel Occupations (Construction).