This course is an excellent choice if you want to develop basic trade skills in bricklaying while working towards a nationally-recognised qualification. Designed for people who have completed the Level 1 Diploma, this is an enjoyable, hands-on programme which will enable you to develop your practical skills by working on simulated challenges. You will learn in a specialist construction training environment using industry-standard equipment and be taught by experienced tutors.
What will I learn?
You will study a wide range of units including:
• Carry out safe working practices
• Information, quantities and communicating with others
• Building methods and construction technology
• Interpret working drawings to set out masonry structures
• Thin joint masonry and masonry cladding
• Build solid walling, isolated and attached piers including projection arms
• Build cavity walling, forming masonry structures
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
You will be assessed through four practical tasks which you will take when you and your assessor agree you are ready. You will also complete an online test at the end of each unit, and an end-of-year online exam. We recommend that you allocate some time to home study in order to achieve your targets.
The final qualification you will achieve on successful completion of the course is the Level 2 Diploma in Bricklaying.
• Level 1 Diploma in Bricklaying.
• Functional Skills in English and maths at Level 1.
• Successful entrance test.
• A good reference.
• A satisfactory interview.
Additional Costs and Information
You will need to provide your own safety footwear, overalls and stationery.
What Could I Do Next?
Having successfully completed the course you could progress onto a Level 3 course in a related area such as Construction Contracting Operations and then on to a higher level course.The Level 2 and Level 3 Diplomas support the Apprenticeship Framework in England. On completion of the Diploma, you can move into employment; you will then need to achieve a Skills Award Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Trowel Occupations (Construction) which is assessed on site.