Key course information
Art and Design
Apply for this course
The Level 1 Diploma in Art, Design and Media is an exciting course that gives you a fabulous introduction to the creative possibilities of art, design and media. Over this one-year course you’ll study a range of specialist subject areas including, printmaking, fine art, three-dimensional design, digital design, graphics, drawing techniques and film-making.As you gain confidence, you will develop a broad portfolio of relevant practical, communication and personal skills. Which you will find essential to successfully progress onto your next level of study, such as UAL Level 2 Art and Design.The course includes visits to exhibitions, locally and in London and primary drawing trips. Opportunities to take part in competitions or open art events are also included where appropriate.
What will I learn?
This UAL Level 1 Diploma consists of seven units during which you will explore, communication in art, drawing, painting, film-making, editing, 2D Design, graphic / digital design, sculpture, time-based art, artist research and exhibitions of your work.
- 12 GCSE points or above, or equivalent.
- A recent portfolio of creative work.
- A good reference.
- A satisfactory interview.
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
- UAL Level 1 Diploma in Art, Design and Media.
- The course is mainly assessed through practical course work.
- You will have the opportunity to participate in interesting live briefs which are set by outside companies and organisations.
- If taking Functional Skills or GCSE resits, these will be assessed by exams.
Additional Costs and Information
There is a studio fee for the year of £50 which is payable at the beginning of the course, this contributes towards an equipment pack and the materials you use as well as your study trips to London, for example.
What Could I Do Next?
On completion of your course you may choose to progress onto these following courses
Art and Design
- Graphic Designer
- Fashion Designer
- Art Teacher
- Art Therapist