Most of our lecturers come from industry and teaching is their second career, often while continuing to be active in their primary profession. This is one of our key strengths as a vocational training provider, as our students benefit from learning from those with industry experience and insight.
We understand that the move from a career in industry to teaching can seem daunting, but it’s probably not as difficult as you might think.
This is why we have introduced a new We Are Teaching Taster programme to enable you to get a taste of teaching without making a commitment to a full career change.
We are currently focussing on finding skilled trades people to join our team of construction and engineering lecturers and technicians.
The We Are Teaching Trades taster programme will be tailored to fit around your current work, giving you the opportunity to discover if teaching could be for you without having to make a commitment to changing your career. We welcome individuals from all construction and engineering trades to apply.
Over the six sessions of approximately 90 minutes you will:
- Shadow our current lecturers and assessors who are more than willing to share their experience to help you build your classroom and workshop
- Receive a tailored training programme to take you through the key information you need to know as one of our teaching staff
- Spend time in the classroom with an experienced lecturer observing how they interact with students
- Observe our lecturers/assessors teaching groups of students practical skills in our purpose built workshops
- Get to know Wiltshire College & University Centre to understand how you could develop a teaching career with us
If at the end of the programme, you decide that a career in teaching is for you and a suitable vacancy is available, we would welcome your application and you will be guaranteed an interview.
For more information or an informal discussion, please complete the form below and we will be in touch. You can also view our current vacancies at careers.wiltshire.ac.uk.