(Our RHS Principle Courses are now full. Please keep an eye out next spring for September 2024 applications)This new qualification is ideal for those looking to pursue a career in horticulture or stretch and challenge skills for personal interest. This level is also suitable for those already working in the industry who would like to formalise and expand their existing skills by gaining a professional qualification.
What will I learn?
The RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Horticulture, provides learners with a solid theoretical grounding. This offers an understanding behind the science of plants, such as how they function, nutrition, health, adaptations and various planting styles. Learners will also develop an understanding of the horticultural industry and the vital role plants play in enhancing biodiversity.
1. Plant Science I: Provides underpinning knowledge of the plant, its structure and function.
2. Plant Health: Provide underpinning knowledge and understanding of the effect of a range of factors on plant health.
3. Plant Nutrition: Provides horticultural knowledge of plant nutrition and growing media.
4. Plant Specification: Provides horticultural knowledge to make recommendations for planting based on matching plant need and site requirements.
5. Plant Science II: Provides an understanding of the range and role of plant adaptations.
6. Planting Styles: Provides horticultural knowledge of the factors involved in creating a wide range of different horticultural plantings.
7. Horticulture and Society: Allows learners to develop their knowledge and understanding of horticulture’s contribution to society, including social, environmental and economic.
8. Biodiversity: Provides an applied knowledge of the roles of plants in creating habitats to encourage biodiversity.
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
RHS courses are premium qualifications that are highly valued by employers and are an excellent first step for access into the horticulture industry. By studying at Lackham College you will have access to professional horticultural facilities and highly qualified staff who are experienced in delivering training to RHS standards. As a Grade 1 RHS centre we are rated outstanding by the RHS for delivery of their qualifications.
In order to achieve this qualification, learners must complete and achieve two examinations. These exams will be offered as paper-based examinations in February and June.
At Lackham, we are offering both the RHS Level 2 Certificate in Practical Horticulture (a practical course) and the RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Horticulture (a theory course).
Attainment of both the Certificate in Practical Horticulture and the Certificate in the Principles of Horticulture will result in learners achieving the Level 2 Certificate in the Principles and Practices of Horticulture.
There are no pre-requisites for entry to this qualification level. However, the course is at the same academic level as GCSE and does involve written elements as well as learning technical terminology and scientific names such as botanical plant names.
Please note that once you apply, you will need to attend an open day event (these dates will be provided once you apply). At the open day event you will have an interview and a place on the course will only be offered subject to a successful interview.