This new qualification is ideal for those looking to pursue a career in horticulture or stretch and challenge skills for personal interest. This level is also suitable for those already working in the industry who would like to formalise and expand their existing skills by gaining a professional qualification.
What will I learn?
The RHS Level 2 Certificate in Practical Horticulture covers essential skills which include the planting, pruning, propagation and maintenance of plants along with the establishment and management of turf, and maintenance of garden features. Learners will also be able to identify a range of plants, pests, diseases, pathogens and disorders.
· Plant Identification: Provides the skills and knowledge to enable learners to identify a wide range of plants.
· Plant Establishment: Provides learners with the skills involved in the establishment of plants in containers and the open ground.
· Plant Propagation: Provides learners with the skills and underpinning knowledge to propagate plants professionally
· Plant Health: Provides the skills to be able to identify and prevent a range of threats to plant health.
· Plant Care: Equips learners with the skills and knowledge to be able to implement garden maintenance plans.
· Plant Pruning: Equips learners with the horticultural skills and knowledge to be able to prune a range of plants.
· Garden Features: Provides learners with the skills and underpinning knowledge to be able care for and maintain a wide range of garden features.
· Grassed Areas: Provides learners with the skills required to establish and maintain grassed areas in private and public garden settings
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
RHS courses are premium qualifications that are highly valued by employers and are an excellent first step for access into the horticulture industry. By studying at Lackham College you will have access to professional horticultural facilities and highly qualified staff who are experienced in delivering training to RHS standards. As a Grade 1 RHS centre we are rated outstanding by the RHS for delivery of their qualifications.
In order to achieve this qualification, learners must complete and attain pass, merit or distinction for the following 2 elements assessed at the end of their course:
· Online Competence Assessment Test
· Practical Competence Assessment Test
At Lackham, we are offering both the RHS Level 2 Certificate in Practical Horticulture (a practical course) and the RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Horticulture (a theory course).
Attainment of both the Certificate in Practical Horticulture and the Certificate in the Principles of Horticulture will result in learners achieving the Level 2 Certificate in the Principles and Practices of Horticulture.
There are no pre-requisites for entry to this qualification level. However, the course is at the same academic level as GCSE and does involve written elements as well as learning technical terminology and scientific names such as botanical plant names.