Key course information
Apply for this course
The course is designed for every level of ability, but experienced gardeners should realise that this is not a specialist course. All gardening equipment, PPE and materials will be provided so please do NOT bring gardening equipment with you, especially anything with a ‘sharp edge’. This course is designed to be relaxed and fun, and we will guide you towards ‘better practice’. There is some ‘heavy work’ but if this is a challenge you will of course not have to physically engage.
What will I learn?
The three days will each deal with a different subject including, but not limited to,
• Spring lawn care and getting your grass areas ready for the summer, including maintenance operations, pest and diseases and what to do about them, fixing the bald bits, how to avoid the bald bits, mowing, edging, feeding, watering, pests and diseases, wildlife ‘meadows’
• Growing vegetables in containers, single and continuity cropping, plant and seed selection, sowing, transplanting and aftercare, watering and feeding, harvesting and storage
• Decorative gardening to include containers and hanging baskets, flower borders, cutting borders, pests and disease control, water and feeding, ‘keeping them going’ -deadheading etc.
We will try to answer your gardening questions, please do bring these with you!
There are no entry requirements associated with this course.
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
Assessment is informal, based on your personal targets and the learning outcomes and will be undertaken regularly with you by the course tutor.
Additional Costs and Information
There are no additional course costs.
You should bring with you:
• Wear work clothing, this is a practical course although it does include necessary theory
• Shower proof coats, we will try to miss the wet if possible
• Sturdy work boots (NO open-toed shoes sandals etc because of safety issues)
• Packed lunch - there is no catering provision available
• Pen, pencil, notebook, etc.
This course will take place at Lackham over three consecutive days, the details are:
23.02.22-25.02.22 Wednesday, Thursday & Friday 09:30-15:00
What Could I Do Next?
On completion of your course you may choose to progress onto these following courses
Work in your own garden, apply for an allotment, take over a neighbour’s plot. RHS Certificate in Practical Gardening – run by Lackham! Volunteer in a local Garden (NT, Council, Cemetery, Nursing Home etc) We hope to run an Autumn practical-work course.