Key course information
Health and Social Care
Apply for this course
The purpose of this qualification is to increase learners’ awareness and understanding of falls and their prevention, which will allow them to progress into or within employment in healthcare or social care settings.The objective of the qualification is to allow learners to gain knowledge and understanding of:• the impact and consequences of a fall • risks and hazards which contribute to falls • reducing the risk of falls.The qualification also covers the importance of recording and reporting any incidence of falls to ensure that interventions can be put in place to reduce the risk and reoccurrence of falls.This qualification is aimed at anyone working in a healthcare or social care environment, particularly those that support or have contact with older people who have an increased propensity to falls.
What will I learn?
This qualification consists of 4 mandatory units:
• Falls in context
In this unit learners will look at falls in different settings and understand the consequences that falling can have on an individual. It also covers falls awareness and prevention programmes, and legislation and guidance relating to falls.
• The risk factors and causes of falls
This unit looks at the risk factors that can increase an individual’s likelihood of falling. It covers personal and environmental factors that can be a cause of falls.
• Falls assessment and prevention
In this unit learners will understand how to assess, monitor and review an individual’s risk of falling. They’ll also look at a range of interventions that can reduce the risk of falls and the specialist support available.
• Managing falls
This unit covers how to reduce the impact and minimise harm in the event of a fall, as well as the roles and responsibilities of staff in falls situations.
To achieve the certificate for this course, learners must successfully demonstrate their achievement of all learning outcomes and assessment criteria of the units. Learners who aren’t successful can resubmit work within the registration period.
Each candidate must create a portfolio of evidence which demonstrates achievement with each unit. On completion of each unit, candidates must declare that the work produced is their own.
• Learners must be aged 19 years or over as at the start of the academic year (31st August).
• Must have lived in the UK or EU for the last three years.
• Must currently reside in England, in a post code outside of Greater Manchester, Liverpool City, Cambridge & Peterborough, Tees Valley, West Midlands and the North of Tyne Combined Authority NTCA.
• If aged 19-23, must hold a full Level 2 qualification or above in any subject (e.g., QCF Diploma Level 2, five GCSEs/O Levels grade A-C, two or three AS Levels, CSE grade 1 5 or more, one A Level, QCF Certificate, GNVQ Intermediate, First Diploma, NVQ Level 2, First Certificate or Principle of Learning Level 2).
• If aged 24+ no qualifications are required.
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
Assessment requirements: portfolio of evidence is internally assessed and moderated, and then externally moderated.
This is a distance learning course. This means learners do not have to attend college for lessons or sessions with a tutor. You are given a personal log in to e-assessor, where you will submit your work for each unit. Once work is submitted this is automatically sent to your assessor for marking.
Additional Costs and Information
• This course is free however, we do have a £130 withdrawal charge if learners do not complete.
• Learners can only complete one NCFE course at a time.
What Could I Do Next?
On completion of your course you may choose to progress onto these following courses
Learners who achieve this qualification could progress to:• Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of End of Life Care • Level 3 Certificate in the Principles of End of Life Care • Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Dignity and Safeguarding in Health And Social Care • Level 3 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care • Level 3 Certificate in Stroke Care Management • Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Dementia Care • Level 3 Certificate in Understanding the Principles of Dementia Care.