This qualification is designed for learners who want to increase their knowledge and understanding of nutrition and health in areas such as healthy eating, nutritional needs, weight management, eating disorders and food safety in the home environment
What will I learn?
This qualification aims to:
• focus on the study of nutrition and health
• offer breadth and depth of study, incorporating a key core of knowledge
The objectives of this qualification are to enable the learner to gain an understanding of:
• the principles of healthy eating and the role of food in maintaining health
• planning and achieving a healthy diet
• how an individual’s dietary requirements change throughout their life
• food labelling and the ability to use information from food labels
• eating disorders
• the role of a healthy diet for weight management
• the principles of food safety in a home environment
It is made up of six mandatory units as follows:
• Explore principles of healthy eating
• Consider nutritional needs of a variety of individuals
• Use food and nutrition information to plan a healthy diet
• The principles of weight management
• Understanding eating disorders
• Principles of food safety for the home environment
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
This course is delivered purely online with digital content. Upon enrolment Learners are sent login details for our e-assessor system where they will access all course materials including workbooks and questions. Learners will also submit all work via this system which will then be marked by an Assessor and feedback provided.
Due to the nature of these Distance Learning courses, the emphasis is very much on self-directed study.
Learners should be able to take all the information needed to complete the course from the Workbooks but will also receive high level support from their Assessor and the Distance Learning Team.
Each unit will have a set deadline, which is usually 2 weeks, so Learners can plan their study time to fit in with these dates.
Learners must be aged 19 years or over as at the start of the academic year (31st August).
Must have lived in the UK or EAA for the last three years.
Must currently reside in England, in a post code outside of London, the Greater Manchester Combined Authority, the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority, the West Midlands Combined Authority, the Tees Valley Combined Authority, the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority, the Newcastle Upon Tyne, North Tyneside and Northumberland Combined Authority, the Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham and Sheffield Combined Authority and the West Yorkshire Combined Authority.
If aged 19-23, must hold a full Level 2 qualification or above in any subject (e.g., QCF Diploma Level 2, five GCSEs/O Levels grade A-C, two or three AS Levels, CSE grade 1 5 or more, one A Level, QCF Certificate, GNVQ Intermediate, First Diploma, NVQ Level 2, First Certificate or Principle of Learning Level 2).
If aged 24+ no qualifications are required.
Additional Costs and Information
Learners can only complete one Distance Learning course at a time and cannot be on another funded course such as an Apprenticeship.
The allotted time for completion of this course is three months.
What Could I Do Next?
Learners who achieve this qualification could progress to: • Level 3 Award in Skills for Workplace Health Champions • Level 3 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care • Level 3 Diploma in Adult Care • Level 3 Diploma in Healthcare Support