This qualification is designed for learners who want to increase their knowledge and understanding of autism. Successful completion of this qualification will allow learners to develop in-depth knowledge and understanding of autism, which would support progression onto appropriate qualifications and into employment within the health and social care sector.
What will I learn?
The objectives of this qualification are to help learners to understand:
• how to adopt a positive approach to supporting individuals with autism
• the current legislative framework relating to individuals with autism and how different theories have developed over time
• how to support and manage transitions for individuals with autism
• the range of therapeutic interventions and support available for individuals with autism and co-occurring conditions
• how to support communication and social interaction for individuals with autism
• how to develop an understanding of how individuals with autism may be vulnerable and the support worker’s role and responsibilities relating to safeguarding according to legislative requirements.
It is made up of six mandatory units as follows:
• Autism in context
• Positive behavioural support for individuals with autism
• Understand support and management of transitions for individuals with autism
• Therapeutic interventions and support available for individuals with autism and co-occurring conditions
• Communication and social interaction with individuals with autism
• Safeguarding and resilience in autism
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
This course is delivered purely online with digital content. Upon enrolment Learners are sent login details for our e-assessor system where they will access all course materials including workbooks and questions. Learners will also submit all work via this system which will then be marked by an Assessor and feedback provided.
Due to the nature of these Distance Learning courses, the emphasis is very much on self-directed study.
Learners should be able to take all the information needed to complete the course from the Workbooks but will also receive high level support from their Assessor and the Distance Learning Team.
Each unit will have a set deadline so Learners can plan their study time to fit in with these dates.
Learners must be aged 19 years or over on 31st August.
Must have lived in the UK or EAA for the last three years.
Must currently reside in England, in a post code outside of London, the Greater Manchester Combined Authority, the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority, the West Midlands Combined Authority, the Tees Valley Combined Authority, the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority, the Newcastle Upon Tyne, North Tyneside and Northumberland Combined Authority, the Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham and Sheffield Combined Authority and the West Yorkshire Combined Authority.
In order to be eligible to complete this course for free, Learners must not already hold a full Level 3 qualification (e.g. four AS Levels or two A Levels etc). If Wiltshire College and University Centre are not able to obtain government funding, then Learners will be expected to pay a course fee of £811 or Learners can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan.
Learners must not be completing any other funded courses such as an Apprenticeship or any other Distance Learning course.
Eligible Learners can only complete one Level 3 qualification for free.
Learners who already hold a full Level 3 qualification and wish to complete this course can do so for a fee of £811 or apply for an Advanced Learner Loan.
Learners who live in one of the devolved areas mentioned above can still complete the course for a fee of £811 or apply for an Advanced Learner Loan.
You can check your eligibility by contacting DistanceLearning@wiltshire.ac.uk
Additional Costs and Information
This course is free (for eligible learners).
Learners who pay to complete this course and do not commence/complete within the allotted time/request to withdraw will forfeit the £811 fee.
Learners can only complete one Distance Learning course at a time.
The allotted time for completion of this course is four months.
What Could I Do Next?
Learners who achieve this qualification could progress to: • Level 3 Diploma for the Children's Workforce (Early Years Educator) • Level 3 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care • Level 3 Diploma in Health and Social Care (Adults) for England • Level 3 Diploma for Residential Childcare (England) • Level 3 Diploma in Healthcare Support Services • Level 3 Diploma in Clinical Healthcare Support • Level 4 Diploma in Adult Care (England) • Level 3 Certificate in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools • Level 3 Diploma in Specialist Support for Teaching and Learning in Schools • Level 4 Certificate in Education and Training.