This qualification is ideal for learners looking to work with children between birth and 5 years, and gain knowledge of working with children for up to 7 years.The aim of this qualification is to provide learners with the knowledge and understanding of babies and young children from birth to 7 years of age with applied knowledge in the early years, 0-5 years. The qualification content meets the Department for Education (DfE) Level 2 full and relevant criteria for a Level 2 Early Years Practitioner in the workforce.Upon successful completion of this qualification, learners can enter the workforce as a qualified Level 2 Early Years Practitioner or continue to study for a Level 3 Diploma holding Early Years Educator status.
What will I learn?
This qualification prepares learners to work with children from birth to five years, with knowledge of children up to seven years.
This course consists of 14 units that all learners must complete. These are as follows:
- Roles and responsibilities of the Early Years Practitioner
- Health and safety of babies and young children in the early years
- Equality, diversity and inclusive practice in Early Years Settings
- Safeguarding, protection and welfare of babies and young children in Early Years Settings
- Understand how to support children's development
- Support care routines for babies and young children
- Support the planning and delivery of activities, purposeful play opportunities and educational programmes
Promote play in an Early Years Setting
- Support well-being of babies and young children for healthy lifestyles
- Support babies and young children to be physically active
Support the needs of babies and young children with Special Educational Needs and Disability
- Promote positive behaviour in Early Years Settings
- Partnership working in the early years
- Support the needs of the child in preparing for school
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
All units are assessed by a designated assessor using a range of methods. This will include direct observations in the workplace, a portfolio of evidence and written assignments.
Learners will need to be working or volunteering for a minimum of 3 days a week to show competence in both knowledge and skills.
Learners should complete 250 placement hours whilst undertaking this qualification. Placement opportunity must allow for sufficient skills application with babies and young children to meet the assessment criteria for the qualification. All learners must have access to working with babies in order to complete this course.
Before a learner begins this qualification, an Initial Assessment is undertaken. This provides the evidence to determine the starting point of learning and assessment. This will include checking if the candidate has the language, literacy, and numeracy skills necessary to achieve the qualification, and this identifies what candidates needs to learn.
Learners without a recognised Maths and English qualification at Level 2, including functional skills, will be required to achieve this prior to completion of the certificate.
Additional Costs and Information
The fee is £1112.50. Learners will have to attend mandatory workshops in the college in order to complete this course.
This qualification will take approximately 14-15 months to complete.
What Could I Do Next?
This qualification allows a learner to count towards the Level 2 ratio as a qualified Level 2 Early Years Practitioner within the Early Years Workforce. Learners may work under supervision in a variety of roles such as: nursery practitioner, classroom assistant (reception class) pre-school practitioner.Learners are also able to progress onto Level 3 Early Years Educator qualifications and other relevant Level 3 qualifications, providing they are ready to do so and meet the required criteria.