Key course information
Adult Supported Learning
Apply for this course
The purpose of this online course is to improve your knowledge, understanding and skills in respect of being able to manage your personal finances more effectively. This is a very important topic because even before the pandemic the Money Advice Service estimated that 8.3 million people in the UK were heavily indebted and that 22% of UK adults had less than £100 in savings. Thus, making highly vulnerable to a financial shock such as job loss or large, unexpected bills. Having greater awareness and insight into personal financial management concepts will give you greater confidence in your ability to manage your income and outgoings more efficiently and make you better equipped to evaluate different types of financial products and services.
What will I learn?
The aim of the course is to equip you with the knowledge and skillset you need to manage your personal finances to a higher standard.
On completion, you should be able to understand:
• The principles of saving and borrowing money
• Sources of income and outgoings
• The need to manage income and outgoings
• Financial products and services
The following topics will be covered during the course:
• The advantages and disadvantages of saving and borrowing money
• The types of financial rewards from different savings accounts
• Types of earned and unearned sources of income
• Work-related and non-work-related outgoings
• Entitlement to state benefits
• The benefits of the good management of personal finance
• The problems which may arise if outgoings are greater than income
• The need for an emergency fund
• Sources of support for serious debt problems
• The types of products and services provided by banks, building societies and credit unions
There are no entry requirements associated with this course.
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
Assessment is informal, based on your personal targets and the learning outcomes and will be undertaken regularly with you by the course tutor.
Additional Costs and Information
There are no additional course costs. You could be eligible to take this course at no charge if you are in receipt of benefits.
You need a computer, Internet access and Microsoft Teams.
This course will take place online on a Tuesday & Thursday of each week, the dates and times are:
What Could I Do Next?
On completion of your course you may choose to progress onto these following courses