The purpose of this course is to improve your knowledge, understanding and skills in respect of being able to manage your personal finances more effectively. Having greater awareness and insight will give you greater confidence in your ability to manage your income and expenditures. This can help make you better equipped to evaluate different types of financial products and services.We want you to be able to access the course easily. It runs for 6 weeks, sessions last for 2 hours, and it is taught during school hours and during term time.
What will I learn?
There are a range of topics to do with managing your personal finances that will be covered during the course. The key themes are outlined as follows:
Personal Finance in the home
• Understanding utility meters and how to read them (Gas, electric, water, smart meters)
• How to read your utility statements and check its correct
Managing your own money
• Banking online
• Understanding different types of bank accounts
Saving and spending
• Saving accounts versus current accounts
• Direct debits as a way of controlling the personal budget
• Trying to avoid bank charges
• The need for emergency fund
• The world of credit and credit cards
• Sources of support for serious debt problems
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
Assessment is informal, based on your personal targets and the learning outcomes will be undertaken regularly with you by the course tutor.
There are no entry requirements with this course
Additional Costs and Information
You just need a pen and notebook and calculator.
You may be entitled to fee remission if you meet the criteria.
The Course will run for one day per week at the Chippenham campus on:
22.02.24 - 07.03.24 Thursday 13:00-15:00
16.05.24 - 06.06.24 Thursday 13:00-15:00