Engineering Technicians in the wider Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering Sector are predominantly involved in highly skilled, complex work and must, as a minimum be able to:• Make a technical contribution to either the design, development, quality assurance, manufacture, installation, commissioning, decommissioning, operation or maintenance of products, equipment, systems, processes or services • Apply proven techniques and procedures to solve engineering/manufacturing problems • Demonstrate effective interpersonal skills in communicating both technical and non-technical informationWiltshire College & University Centre offers several pathways within this apprenticeship standard including Advanced Machinist, Toolmaker and Tool and Die Maintenance Technician and Technical Support Technician (Design/Quality/Business Support)
What will I learn?
You will gain an
• Understanding of engineering machine operation
• understanding of engineering mathematical / scientific principles, methods, techniques, expressions, symbols formulae and calculations used by technicians
• understanding of the structure, properties and characteristics of materials
• understanding of the problems that arise within work activities
• understanding of diagnostic methods and techniques to help solve engineering problems
• understanding of the importance of using current processes, procedures, documentation and the implications if not adhered to
• understanding and interpret relevant engineering data and documentation in order to complete your role
You will also
• obtain, check and use the appropriate documentation (such as job instructions, drawings, quality control documentation)
• undertake work activity using the correct processes, procedures and equipment
• carry out the required checks (such as quality, compliance or testing) using the correct procedures, processes and equipment
• deal with engineering problems within the limits of your responsibility using approved diagnostic methods and techniques
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
• Level 2 Foundation Knowledge Diploma
• Level 2 Foundation Competence Diploma
• Level 3 Advanced Manufacturing Knowledge Diploma
• Level 3 Advanced Manufacturing Competence Diploma
5 GCSEs grade C/4 or above including Math, English Language and a Science
There will be an initial basic assessment as part of the application process
You must have secured a position with an employer and be ready to start working with them before you can begin your apprenticeship course.
If you already have an employer and they have agreed to put you through an apprenticeship, contact the Apprenticeship team and we'll get you started. Email email@example.com or call 0845 345 2235.
If you don’t have an employer, you can still apply for an apprenticeship directly - check out our latest apprenticeship vacancies here: https://www.wiltshire.ac.uk/information/apprenticeship-faqs/apprenticeship-vacancies
Additional Costs and Information
PPE will be provided by your employer
All learning material s will be provided as part of your course
What Could I Do Next?
Level 4 Manufacturing Technician (HNC/HND) Apprenticeship Level 4 Automation and Controls (HNC/HND) Apprenticeship