Key course information
Hair and Beauty
Apply for this course
Are you ready to take your experience in hairdressing to the next level? This A-Level equivalent qualification in hairdressing will help you build a range of specialist skills and the technical knowledge you’ll need to enter the workplace or move onto further training in hairdressing. You’ll learn and work in the Aspire Academy of Hair and Beauty, the College’s own salon located at our Trowbridge, Chippenham and Salisbury campuses. The salons feature professional products and industry-standard equipment; you’ll experience a realistic and immersive working environment while being fully supported by our experienced lecturers. In our salons you will work with members of the general public who are paying clients, giving you an incredible insight into the real world of work – both on reception and in the salon itself.
What will I learn?
Over two years of studying with us, you’ll cover a very wide range of practical skills and knowledge that you’ll need to work in the hairdressing industry.
Compulsory modules include:
• Cut hair using a combination of techniques
• Creatively colour and lighten hair
• Hairdressing consultation services
• Creatively style and dress hair
• Hair colour correction services
There are also additional areas of study which you might participate in, such as:
• Cut men’s hair using basic techniques
• Creative hair design skills
• Creative hair extension services
• Smoothing and strengthening systems
• Create a variety of perming effects
• Hair relaxing services
• Specialist hair and scalp treatments
• To enrol on this course, you must have successfully completed a Level 2 Certificate in Hairdressing or have gained equivalent industry experience.
• Work experience in the hairdressing industry is essential for Level 3.
• A good reference.
• A good record of attendance.
• An interview.
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
To achieve this qualification, you must successfully complete the following assessments:
• One externally set, externally moderated practical assignment
• One externally set, externally marked theory exam
A minimum of six hours per week of home study is required and 60 hours of work experience.
You will be assessed while working on clients in the Aspire salons throughout the duration of the course.
The final qualification is a Level 3 Advanced Technical Diploma in Hairdressing.
Additional Costs and Information
You will need a uniform and kit for this course – this will be discussed at your interview. In cases of financial hardship, funds may be available to help with the cost of this.
We also arrange educational activities and competitions as part of the course, which may incur an additional cost.
What Could I Do Next?
On completion of your course you may choose to progress onto these following courses
After completing this course, you could progress into employment, for example as a hairdressing stylist, or onto a Level 4 Salon Management qualification to continue building your skills.