This practical course is the perfect next step if you have completed the Level 1 in Painting and Decorating and is also designed for people who are completing an NVQ2 in painting and decorating since the two qualifications can be gained together. The course enables you to gain the skills and knowledge you need to become a successful professional painter and decorator. You will gain experience of the latest techniques and technology, learning in an environment which simulates real working conditions, and also build your knowledge of health and safety in the decorating industry. This Level 2 Diploma in Painting and Decorating qualification provides the knowledge, understanding and skills related to the equivalent NVQ Unit.
What will I learn?
You will study a range of units such as:
• Health and safety and welfare in construction and associated industries
• Knowledge of technical information, quantities and communication with others
• Knowledge of construction technology
• Prepare surfaces for decoration
• Apply paint systems by brush and roller
• Produce specialist decorative finishes
• Apply water-borne paint systems using high volume low pressure (HVLP) spray equipment
• Erect and dismantle access equipment and working platforms
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
You will be assessed through knowledge and understanding questions for each unit. You will also need to successfully complete a practical assignment, demonstrating that you can prepare for and paint flush doors and hang wallpaper, and a City & Guilds online exam at the end of the course.
We recommend that you allocate time to studying at home in order to achieve your targets.
• Level 1 Diploma in Painting and Decorating.
• Functional Skills in English and maths at Level 1.
• Successful entrance test.
• A good reference.
• A satisfactory interview.
Additional Costs and Information
You will be required to provide your own overalls and protective footwear and buy some textbooks.
What Could I Do Next?
Having successfully completed this course you could progress to a Level 3 qualification in painting and decorating, and then on to an apprenticeship, or you may decide to go directly into employment.