Being a Painter and Decorator is a very skilled profession, with jobs available across the country, and indeed the world, for experienced and qualified individuals.You could find yourself working on domestic projects such as redecorating a family home, or even on large commercial projects such as developing hospitals, retail centres or housing developments.This apprenticeship is aimed at someone working on a construction site or in domestic and commercial premises, to given specifications, preparing background surfaces for painting and applying paint by brush and roller. Hanging standard wall coverings depending upon ability and the company training.
What will I learn?
An intermediate apprenticeship in Painting and Decorating can include studying units such as:
• Erecting and dismantling access and working platforms
• Preparing surfaces
• Applying paint by brush and roller
• Handing paper wall coverings
• Hanging wide width vinyl’s
• Installing coving, centre pieces and texture products
• Storing resources and equipment safely
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
An intermediate apprenticeship in this industry will usually take up to 36 months to complete, depending on your job role and previous experience.
The knowledge element is delivered at Wiltshire College Trowbridge and you will need to attend college for one day per week as well as a number of portfolio days which will be timetabled at the start of your programme. You will be required to take and end point assessment (EPA), at the end of the apprenticeship which will test your skills and knowledge acquired along the way.
The Competence Element will be assessed in the workplace using evidence to build a portfolio.
Functional Skills will generally be delivered at one of our Wiltshire College campuses.
A mixture of on and off the job training provides a variety of learning opportunities across the whole programme.
• Applicants are required to have a minimum of 4 GCSEs at grade D or above (or equivalent) including Maths and English (or Functional Skills level 1 in Maths and English) in order to start an apprenticeship in this area.
• All applicants will be required to complete initial assessments in Maths and English, depending on the framework applied for, ICT may also be required.