If you’d like to become a qualified painter and decorator, this course is an ideal starting point, giving you an introduction to basic decorating techniques and health and safety within the construction industry. You will learn about estimating quantities, preparing surfaces, applying paints by brush and roller, applying foundation and plain wallpapers, and basic specialist decorative techniques. The course also covers safe working practices and safe use of access equipment. You will learn in a specialist construction training environment using industry-standard equipment and be taught by tutors with extensive experience in the trade.
What will I learn?
You will study a wide range of units including:
• Health and safety and welfare in construction and associated industries
• Knowledge of technical information, quantities and communication with others
• Knowledge of construction technology
• Erecting and dismantling access equipment and working platforms
• Preparing common surface types for decoration
• Applying basic paint systems by brush and roller
• Applying foundation and plain papers
• Producing standard decorative finishes
• 4 GCSEs at Grade 2 (E) or above (or equivalent) including English and maths.
• A good reference.
• A satisfactory interview and skills assessment.
Additional Costs and Information
You will be required to provide your own overalls and protective footwear and buy some textbooks.
What Could I Do Next?
Having successfully completed this course you could progress onto the Level 2 in Painting and Decorating. Once trained, you can find a role as a painter and decorator employed by a contractor, or choose to become self-employed, working within the residential sector. Having started work, you can then progress to completing an NVQ at Level 2 and 3 through an apprenticeship.