This course is designed to help you develop the essential skills and knowledge required by today’s motor vehicle industry and is designed for students who have either completed the IMI Level 1 course or have prior achievement in other relevant subject areas. You will be taught the practical aspects of the course in the College’s industry-standard workshops and technical classrooms. If you do not already have GCSEs in maths and English at grade 4 (C), you will study these subjects as part of your programme, improving your skills and enhancing your employability. The course requires you to spend three days a week at the College.
What will I learn?
You will develop the underpinning knowledge and skills you need to work in the motor trade by studying the following units:
• Health and safety, ready for industry expectations
• Working with others
• Automotive foundation skills
• Engine mechanical, lubrication and cooling
• Fuel, exhaust, induction and ignition components
• Chassis components, brakes, suspension, steering, wheels and tyres
• Electrical components
• Vehicle inspection and routine servicing
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
You will be assessed through online exams and vehicle and workshop-based assessments, as well as completing a range of mandatory units.
You will need to allocate some time to coursework and revision and will also be expected to complete a minimum of 30 hours’ work experience within the academic year.
The course is accredited by the Institute of Motor Industries (IMI). The final qualification is the IMI Level 2 Subsidiary Diploma in Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Technology.
• IMI Level 1 Diploma in Transport Maintenance Light Vehicle, or prior relevant achievement in other subject areas.
• English and maths GCSE at grade 4 (C) or above.
Additional Costs and Information
You will need to supply your own protective clothing (overalls and steel toecap safety boots) and stationery.
What Could I Do Next?
Most students use this qualification to progress on to an apprenticeship or the IMI Level 2 Diploma in Auto Electrical and Mobile Electrical Principles.