Fitters may typically have a mechanical, electrical, electronic, control systems, or instrumentation bias or operate across multiple disciplines depending on the type of assembly. To produce or re-furbish the components fitters will interpret drawings/specifications and plan their work, for example ensuring they have the right tools, equipment and resources to complete the task to the required specification. Fitters are required to check their work against quality standards and make adjustments as required based on their knowledge. On completion of the task a fitter will hand over the product and prepare the work area for the next task by checking equipment meets the standards required to operate. They may be based in a workshop or clients premises - this may include hazardous environments.
What will I learn?
• Reading, interpreting and understanding the component/assembly specification, diagrams and drawings
• Planning component/assembly task – materials, tools and equipment
• Carryout relevant planning and preparation activities before commencing work activity and know how to source resources and interpret drawings, specifications and instructions
• Checking tools during and after task completion; identifying and reporting defects
• Measuring / testing, checking/inspecting component/assembly for example; use of micrometers, verniers, multimeters, voltmeter
• Problem solving; analysing the issue and fixing the issue where appropriate
• Applying improvement techniques; implementing solutions where appropriate
• Communicating with colleagues and/or customers
• Completing component/assembly documentation for example job instructions, drawings, quality control documentation .
• Operating in line with quality, health & safety and environmental procedures; identifying risks and hazards and identifying control measures where applicable
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
• Level 2 Foundation Competence Diploma
• Level 3 Advanced Manufacturing Knowledge Diploma
• Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Engineering
• 4 GCSEs grade C/4 or above including Math, English Language and a Science
• There will be an initial basic assessment as part of the application process
Additional Costs and Information
PPE will be provided by your employer
All learning materials will be provided as part of your course
What Could I Do Next?
Level 4 Manufacturing Technician (HNC/HND) Apprenticeship Level 4 Automation and Controls (HNC/HND) Apprenticeship