Key course information
Art and Design
Apply for this course
Do you know how to use a putty rubber or mix a tint of brown? Come along and find out, and learn lots of other exciting drawing and painting techniques. If you love drawing and painting and enjoy using different media, this course will appeal to you. You will explore the properties and potential of using a variety of media in your art work and will consider the work of other artists to evaluate your own creations.The course is designed to run over three terms and is progressive, but can be joined at any point in the year.
What will I learn?
The aim of the course is to equip you with the confidence and knowledge to experiment with a variety of media in your drawing and painting. On completion, you should be able to:
• Recognise a range of drawing and painting media and their properties
• Use different media to create various effects
• Understand the relevance of evaluating other artists’ work
• Review your own work with confidence
The following topics will be covered during the year:
• Drawing I - exploring a wide variety of monochromatic media such as pencil, charcoal, pen and ink, conte, chalk/oil pastels
• Drawing II - investigating a range of colour media such as pencil crayons, inks, oil/chalk pastels
• Painting - what is a hue, tint and a tone? Looking at colour theory and paint mixing
• Painting Techniques - learning how to use a variety of paints and their properties
• Mixed Media - what is it? Experimenting with different processes such as collage
• Project-Based Work - investigating a range of themes such as still life, life drawing and portraits
• Observational Studies - extending drawing and painting skills working from observation
• Abstracted Studies - looking at ways of abstracting
• The Importance of Knowing Other Artists'' Work - developing an appreciation of others’ practice to enhance and inspire practical work
• How to Evaluate Your Work - considering your different skills as a means of self critique.
There are no entry requirements associated with this course.
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
There are no final qualifications associated with this course. Assessment is informal, based on your personal targets and the learning outcomes and will be undertaken regularly with you by the course tutor.
Additional Costs and Information
In view of COVID-19 please could learners bring their own equipment, brushes, pencils etc to avoid sharing wherever possible. You should bring pencils, a rubber and a sketchbook with you to the first session. You may also wish to bring some small change for tea/coffee refreshments.
Please note that there is no parking at the Methuen Centre. The closest car park is in the High Street, adjacent to The Methuen Arms. There is a charge for parking.
This course runs on one day per week at the Methuen Centre, Corsham and the dates are:
16.09.20-25.11.20 Wednesday 18:30-20:30
13.09.21-24.03.21 Wednesday 18:30-20:30
28.04.21-07.07.21 Wednesday 18:30-20:30
What Could I Do Next?
On completion of your course you may choose to progress onto these following courses
Art and Design
- Graphic Designer
- Fashion Designer
- Art Teacher
- Art Therapist