This course is a natural progression route from a completed Level 1 course in Carpentry and Joinery. On the course you will develop skills to produce finished Joinery products from drawings and specifications using a wide range of hand tools, power tools and fixed machinery. Your time served lecturer will give you full training and support on the use of tools and machinery in a industry standard machine shop with all the latest equipment. You can expect to produce window frames and opening lights, doors, staircases and kitchen units alongside interesting and varied smaller tasks. You will study all theoretical aspects of the trade which will help you further develop your practical skills and prepare you for a career in industry.
What will I learn?
You will study six units during the course, enabling you to develop the following skills and knowledge:
• Health, safety and welfare in construction and associated industries
• Principles of construction and the built environment
• Set up and operate a Circular Saw
• Setting out of Bench Joinery products
• Marking out of Bench Joinery products
• Manufacture and assemble Bench Joinery products
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
You will be continuously assessed through practical and theory tests after each phase of training, and six unit-based assessment knowledge tests, timed throughout the year. You will take an extended timed practical test at the end of the course. You may be given theory tasks as homework and will be expected to catch up with your theory work in your own time following an absence. The final qualification is a Level 2 Diploma in Bench Joinery.
• Level 1 Diploma in Carpentry and Joinery.
• Functional Skills in English and maths at Level 1.
• Successful entrance test.
• A good reference.
• A satisfactory interview.
Additional Costs and Information
It is recommended that you purchase a course textbook for £25 to compliment the course and extend your knowledge but this is not compulsory.
What Could I Do Next?
Successfully completing the course could lead to full time employment within industry or onto an apprenticeship programme.