Delivered at our Chippenham campus in partnership with Oxford Brookes University, the aim of this course is to provide a progression route for students who have successfully completed a level 5 qualification such as a Foundation Degree (FdA) Business and Management Practice or an HND in a Business and Management subject and who wish to achieve a BA (Hons) degree. This course also enables you to develop an analytical and evidence based approach to key aspects of business and management in today’s complex international context. Through active learning and enquiry, you will exercise initiative and personal responsibility in order to develop the ability to learn independently and to engage in critical enquiry and personal development.
What will I learn?
The course includes modules in the following subjects:
• Managing Quality and Risk
• Managing Marketing Activities
• Developing Self and Others
• Work Based Project OR Dissertation
• Strategic Futures, Insight and Design
• Leading and Managing Change
• Strategic Leadership
Modules and course content are subject to change.
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
This level 6 course will be delivered using a blended approach of both class-based sessions and remote learning.
The Business and Management Practice ‘top-up’ modules explore business and management issues and problems that are set in realistic contexts. Theory is explored through interesting and challenging situations, often drawing on students’ experience of organisations and the workplace. This helps you to develop both critical enquiry and your own practical insights.
This programme will:
- Introduce and encourage you to engage in new areas of knowledge while also giving you the opportunity to broaden and deepen your existing knowledge
- Encourage you to engage in critical analysis of concepts, theories and practice and to test your analysis against received understandings and practices
- Provide the opportunity to acquire practical experience in a range of activities from empirical research to presenting your findings
- Encourage you to engage in critical reflection of self, others and business and management practice.
Throughout the programme, you are given opportunities to:
- Participate in seminars and workshops which develop your knowledge and understanding
- Work in groups to examine and discuss issues
- Use e-learning as a tool to support your learning
- Participate in 1:1 tutorials
- Undertake projects to benefit your employer (if appropriate) and your own professional development.
Assessments include individual and group work; written work, presentations, projects and practical work. Details of the assignments are shared with you during the first teaching session for each module. This includes guidance on the task and the marking criteria. There are opportunities to gain formative feedback on your work and review your progress with your tutor before you submit your final pieces.
Students must have completed an appropriate programme to be eligible to apply for the final year, Level 6, entry to the BA (Hons) Business and Management Practice.
- A foundation degree in Business and Management Practice awarded by Oxford Brookes University, successfully gaining - 240 credits and normally a minimum of 55% grade average achieved at Level 5.
- A foundation degree in Business and Management or related disciplines in Business awarded by another university, successfully gaining 240 credits and normally a minimum of 55% grade average achieved at Level 5, subject to individual credit rating by Oxford Brookes University.
-A HND in Business or related disciplines in Business, successfully gaining 240 credits and normally a minimum of A Merit grade average achieved at Level 5, subject to individual credit rating by Oxford Brookes University.
Where English is not your first language, an IELTS score of 6.0 or equivalent qualification will normally be required.
Don't quite reach the entry criteria? You could apply to do our Access to Higher Education course.
Additional Costs and Information
You may be required to attend an interview and you can apply for this course through the UCAS website.
The UCAS institution code for this programme is O66.
The UCAS course code for this programme is 102N.
When completing UCAS applications for this course, please select the campus code U.
The cost of this programme is £7,570 per year (£9,270 for international students).
For some trips or visits, there may be additional charges that apply which you will be made aware of when and if appropriate.
There are a number of resources which are recommended for the course, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Although this course is taught at Wiltshire College & University Centre, you will be able to access many of the learning and support facilities at Oxford Brookes as well as those of the college.
The Office for Students (OfS), the new independent regulator for Higher Education in England, has confirmed that the college is successfully registered as a provider for Higher Education and that students are eligible for funding and student support from Student Finance England. Please visit www.officeforstudents.org.uk for more information.
What Could I Do Next?
The course provides you with opportunities to develop skills, understanding and personal attributes valued by employers leading to employment in management in business sectors such as Sales, Finance, Human Resources and Marketing. The flexible timetable enables you to remain in employment while undertaking this course.
Bruce is a successful business professional with extensive experience in the industry and in education. He is the Programme Lead on all four of the College’s business and management Higher Education courses – Foundation Degree (FdA) Business and Management Practice, BA (Hons) (top-up) Business and Management Practice, BA (Hons) Business and Management Practice (Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship) and BA (Hons) Professional Business and Management Practice.
Bruce began working at the College in 2014 and took on the role of Programme Lead for our business and management Higher Education offering in 2019. Prior to joining us, he already had extensive Higher Education teaching experience across HNC, HND and Degree programmes.
Bruce studied a BSc (Hons) Business and Management degree at Derby University and owned his own business by the age of 21. Read more...