Do you have a passion for sport and are interested in starting a career in a dynamic industry? This one-year course has been designed to introduce the learner to the sports industry and develop the practical skills necessary for successful employment in a range of sport and leisure facilities.It aims to give learners a basic insight and understanding into the sports industry, allowing them to further their knowledge both academically and also in a practical situation, culminating in a qualification that will enable learners to pursue a career in sport or progress onto a higher level course. Our practical lessons take place at a range of top facilities across the county, including Five Rivers Leisure Centre, Melksham Town Football Club, Stanley Park Football Club, Springfield, Beversbrook Football Facility, Play Football Indoor Dome Swindon and CrossFit Civitas.
What will I learn?
During this course, learners are required to study seven of the following units:
• Sports Development - The issues affecting sport in the modern world. You will also investigate participation levels and the effects on participation.
• Injury in Sport - You will become aware of the main causes of injury and how best to prevent such injury. You will examine sporting industries and basic procedures for their treatment, including the recognition of situations that call for immediate expert advice and assistance.
• Fitness Testing and Training - You are required to administer a range of field tests of physical fitness and discuss how lifestyle can affect sports performance. You will also look at the psychological factors that have an affect on sports performance, such as motivation, anxiety and personality.
• Anatomy and Physiology - You will learn about the skeletal, muscular, cardiovascular and respiratory systems, and investigate their functions in facilitating exercise.
• Planning and Leading a Sports Activity - This unit introduces you to the skills, techniques and knowledge required when leading sports, recreational and play activities.
• Practical Sports - The focus on this unit is on improving your practical sports performance, by gaining knowledge, skills, techniques and tactics, and applying them in a game or individual performance.
• Nutrition for Sports Performance - The aim of this unit is to enable you to develop skills and knowledge in personal nutrition linked to sports performance.
• Lifestyle and the Sports Performer - The aim of this unit is for learners to explore aspects of lifestyle and to idenifty the components of an appropriate lifestyle for an elite athlete.
• Exercise and Fitness Instruction - The aim of the unit is to equip learners with the knowledge and skills required to plan an exercise programme and assit in instructing an exercise session.
• Expedition Experience - This unit will enable learners to plan and participate in expeditions and review the expeditions they have taken part in.
As well as the units above, learners may be required to complete Functional Skills in English and maths if they have not achieved a grade C or above or an equivalent Level 2.
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
You will be assessed using a variety of methods including portfolio
assessments, practical assessments, role plays and presentation skills.
There are no formal controlled assessments as this is a work based course.
Students will get support at college from their tutor and have self-study time where they can plan and carry out assessments. Students may be required to do additional work at home.
• 4 GCSEs at grade 3/D, including English and maths (or equivalent).
• A good reference and a satisfactory interview.
Additional Costs and Information
A charge of approximately £350 will be required for off-site visits, equipment and uniform. Financial assistance may be available for students who qualify. Students should contact Customer Services at the College for further details and a bursary application form.
We are a College Grassroots ECFA Football Hub.
What Could I Do Next?
This qualification will enable you to progress onto the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport as well as other National programmes or courses in other vocational areas.