Key course information
Apply for this course
Theatre Arts is one of the potential pathways on the Level 3 Art and Design course. Aspects of Theatre Arts, such as costume Design, prop-making and set design are explored throughout the first term through briefs and live projects.Theatre Arts are embedded within the art and design course structure from research through to media exploration, ideas generation and resolving final design solutions. However, there are opportunities to research, design, make and visualize using specialist Theatre Art processes such as model-making, prop-making, scenic painting, costume and set design. It aims to challenge you creatively through exciting project themes and live project opportunities. It is mainly practical, with written theory in the form of research, presentations and reports on artists and designers that could inspire your work. You will build up evidence that will reflect your individual strengths. The course includes visits to exhibitions, locally and in London and primary drawing trips.
What will I learn?
The Level 3 Diploma is an 9 unit qualification which covers the core skills and opens up to more specialised study. Key areas covered in year 1 are:
- Sketchbook skills and project development
- Media exploration
- Digital manipulation
- Research and Contextual studies
- Character research
- Set design and scenic painting
- Fabric manipulation and design
- Working with Resistant and non- resistant materials
- Work Experience and ‘Live’ design projects
Studies are extended in year 2 and the UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma in Art & Design which is a 4 unit qualification and focuses upon specialist development and progression from the course. Key areas covered in year 2 are:
- Portfolio building
- Specialist design projects
- Work Experience ‘Live’ projects
- Specialist contextual studies
- Engaging with an audience
- A Final Major project and end of year exhibition
Progression is a key part of the Extended Diploma, including applications for higher education, apprenticeships and portfolio skills which are all embedded in the course with the emphasis upon ambition and individual direction.
- 4 GCSEs at grade A*-C including English and Maths or equivalent (or Merit or Distinction in a related subject at Level 2)
- A recent portfolio of work
- A good reference
- A satisfactory interview
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
- You will need to allocate time to continue and complete your coursework through self- directed sessions and homework.
- You will be mainly assessed through coursework with an end, externally assessed exam project. GCSE and Functional skills in Maths and English are assessed by exams.
- The final qualification will be a UAL Level 3 Diploma and Extended Diploma in Art and Design.
Additional Costs and Information
The studio fee is £150 per year and is payable at the start of the year. This with provide access to materials in the design and construction workshops, sketchbooks and group trips to London to see specialist exhibitions. For year 2 students the essentials for presenting work for a portfolio are provided.
Students with financial difficulties are supported via the bursary’ system and are means tested.
What Could I Do Next?
On completion of your course you may choose to progress onto these following courses