If you love being outdoors and working with animals, this course will give you an introduction to the range of careers you could pursue. Based at Lackham, our specialist campus for land-based courses, you will learn in a real-world work environment, helping you to gain an understanding of working life and your suitability for employment in the land-based industries. You will develop practical knowledge of what real work involves and some of the skills you need to become a successful employee in the workplace.
What will I learn?
During the course you will:
• Gain work-related skills in classroom and real-work environments
• Develop enterprise and employability skills
• Prepare for further training in your chosen occupational area such as animal care, agriculture, horticulture and countryside management, or for supported employment
• Obtain an insight into a real work environment, allowing you to make informed career choices
• Improve your English and maths skills
Your programme will be tailored to your individual needs and may include topics such as:
• Finding jobs and courses
• Relationships and behaviours
• CV writing
• Garden maintenance skills
• Exploring working in the land-based industry
You will study English and maths at a level that is right for you following an assessment either at interview or at the start of the course.
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
Your studies and assessment are accredited within the framework of the progression qualifications Skills for Working in Animal Care/Horticulture at Entry Level 2 to Level 1.
• No formal entry requirements.
• Informal interview to check that this is the right course for you.
Additional Costs and Information
Your course is likely to include trips to attractions and community facilities which will require you to contribute towards the cost. In addition, you may need special safety equipment or uniform for certain work experience options. You may be eligible for financial help from the College to meet these costs.