The purpose of this course is to improve your knowledge, understanding and skills in respect of being able to manage your personal finances more effectively. Having greater awareness and insight will give you greater confidence in your ability to manage your income and expenditures. This can help make you better equipped to evaluate different types of financial products and services.We want you to be able to access the course easily. It runs for 6 weeks, sessions last for 2 hours, and it is taught during school hours and during term time.
What will I learn?
There are a range of topics to do with employability that will be covered during the course. The key themes are outlined as follows:
(1) Living alone (or with dependents) and living on a daily budget. How to live within our means and understand that debt must be controlled, and the ways that debt can get out of control. Personal Finance Software can help us budget sensibly.
(2) In work or unemployed we still pay taxes. A look at the different forms of taxation, both direct and indirect. Entitlement to state benefits.
(3) Compound interest rates. These affect our savings and the amount we pay back on loans. We also look at compound depreciation in the value of goods and items such as a car.
(4) Rent versus mortgage. Pros and cons of both. Playing it safe with an insurance policy. Why might it be necessary?
(5) The types of products and services provided by banks and building societies. Long-term financial plan such as ISAs.
(6) Planning for retirement and understanding pensions.
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
Assessment is informal, based on your personal targets and the learning outcomes will be undertaken regularly with you by the course tutor.
There are no entry requirements with this course.
Additional Costs and Information
You just need a pen and notebook and calculator.
You may be entitled to fee remission if you meet the criteria. To find out more please contact us on 01225 756289 or 01225 756201.
*Subject to change where required to meet learner needs.