Key course information
Apply for this course
This course is for a caring, determined individual who is currently working in the role of a Deputy manager in an appropriate setting. This qualification will develop the knowledge and skills needed when working with children and young people in a residential childcare setting, including an understanding of child and young person development.The qualification will enable you to gain essential skills and knowledge to support children and young people when in a residential childcare settings. This includes well-being and resilience, positive relationships and attachments, health and safety, sexual exploitation, communications, positive behaviour and positive outcomes.
What will I learn?
During this course you will learn all about different aspects of childcare in a residential setting, within some of the mandatory units, you will be improving your understanding of the development of children and young people in residential childcare, the understanding of how to safeguard and protect children and young people and also how to support children and young people who are experiencing harm or abuse.
You must achieve a minimum of 61 credits in order to pass this qualification. 53 of these credits must be achieved from the mandatory units. Learners must complete a minimum of 3 optional units, achieving a minimum of 8 credits.
- You will be asked to complete and pass a written assessment before enrolment can happen. This is to determine if this level of study is appropriate for you.
- You must be working in the role of Deputy Manager in an appropriate setting.
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
- The first unit of the course will be set to you by your assessor.
- All work is internally assessed via observations in the workplace and written assignments.
Additional Costs and Information
Duration of the course is a minimum of 18 months, with a maximum of 24 months.
What Could I Do Next?
On completion of your course you may choose to progress onto these following courses
- Nursery Manager
- Teaching Assistant
- Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO)
- Children's Nurse
- Child Psychologist