Are you creative and passionate about make-up? Would you like to work with celebrities on the red carpet, transform actors for the big screen, create realistic prosthetics and learn the latest styles in hair and make-up? This course will provide you with the specialist practical skills and knowledge you’ll need to find your way into the exciting, competitive industry of theatrical and media make-up.
What will I learn?
This qualification covers a very wide range of practical skills and knowledge required for working in the beauty and spa therapy industry.
These are compulsory areas:
• Cutting and styling techniques for performers
• Avant-Garde hair and make-up
• Creative make-up design for productions and industry demands
• Apply prosthetic pieces and bald caps
• Special effects make-up
• Create, dress and fit facial postiche
• Body art for competition
Additional areas include:
• Camouflage make-up
• Media make-up blogging
• Create, cast small prosthetic pieces and bald caps
• Costume design and prop making
• Wig dressing, fitting and maintenance
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
To achieve this qualification, you must successfully complete the following assessments:
• One externally set, externally moderated practical assignment
• One externally set, externally marked theory exam
A minimum of six hours per week of home study is required and 60 hours of work experience.
You will be assessed while working on clients in the Aspire salons throughout the duration of the course.
The final qualification is a Level 3 Advanced Technical Diploma in Theatrical, Special Effects and Media Make-Up Artistry.
• To enrol on this course, you must have successfully completed a Level 2 Certificate in Hair & Media Make-Up Artistry or have gained equivalent industry experience.
• Work experience in the industry is essential for Level 3.
• A good reference.
• A good record of attendance.
• An interview.
Additional Costs and Information
You will need a uniform and kit for this course – this will be discussed at your interview. In cases of financial hardship, funds may be available to help with the cost of this.
We also arrange educational activities and competitions as part of the course, which may incur an additional cost.
What Could I Do Next?
After finishing this course, you could progress directly into employment or onto a Level 4 qualification such as a Diploma in Management Practice and Advanced Techniques in the Hair and Beauty Sector, or Theatrical and Media Make-Up. Alternatively, you could progress to university, and study subjects such as theatrical and media studies, fashion, photography or art.