This course – which is tailored to your individual needs – prepares you to develop a successful independent lifestyle, and for further training in land-based subjects. It will give you the practical skills to make healthy, positive choices, and enable you to develop the skills and confidence to live independently or semi-independently through outcomes identified on your Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP) if you have one. The course is based at Lackham, our specialist campus for land-based teaching.
What will I learn?
On this course you will:
• Gain independence skills in classroom lessons and real or simulated environments
• Develop personal and social skills
• Learn practical topics such as animal care, horticulture, agriculture and land-based skills, preparing you for further training
• Enhance your ability to make informed life choices
• Improve your English and maths skills
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
Your course will be tailored to your individual needs but may include topics such as:
• Independent living skills
• Personal hygiene
• Health and safety
• Accessing the local community
You may go on work experience as part of your course. You will also study English and maths at a level that is right for you, following an assessment either at interview or at the start of the course.
• No formal entry requirements.
• You are likely to be transitioning from a specialist SEN school setting.
• Informal interview to check that this is the right course for you.
Additional Costs and Information
Your course is likely to include trips to attractions and community facilities which will require you to contribute towards the cost. You may be eligible for financial help from the College to help meet these costs.