If you want to pursue a career in the IT sector and apply your knowledge and skills in real-life industry situations, this motivating and engaging course will put you on the right path. It covers a broad range of IT disciplines including IT systems, web and database development, social media, cyber security and incident management, programming, computer games development, creating systems to manage information and IT project management. Reflecting the needs of the rapidly advancing and growing digital world, this course will give you the toolkit you need to find employment in an IT environment or to go on to higher education.
What will I learn?
You’ll study a range of topics and undertake a variety of tasks which will enable you to develop a solid foundation in IT, including:
• Looking at the characteristics of programming language to meet clients’ needs
• Making use of programs within operating systems to help deliver products and services
• Designing, creating and reviewing a computer game to meet specific requirements
• Reviewing system security and the vulnerabilities that open us up to attacks from cyber criminals
• Gaining a sound understanding of how to effectively select and use appropriate IT systems
• Developing understanding of the relationships between hardware and software and their impact on users and the systems
• Solving issues within management information systems, from small in-house systems to large stock control systems
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
An industry placement is a fundamental part of this course and will give you the opportunity to gain valuable skills and experience. You will be supported throughout your placement by our dedicated Work Placement Team.
Your final qualification on successfully completing the course is the BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Information Technology.
• 4 GCSEs at grade 9-4 (A*-C) including English and maths (or equivalent), or Merit or Distinction in a related subject at Level 2.
• A good reference.
• A satisfactory interview.
Additional Costs and Information
Course trips to external organisations and exhibitions are an important part of the course and may require you to contribute towards travel and entry fee costs.
This is a two-year course: in Year 1 you will take the Foundation Diploma programme (equivalent to 1½ A levels), after which you can enrol on and complete the full BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Year 2.
What Could I Do Next?
Upon completion of year one of the course students can progress on to the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Information Technology top up.Upon completion of year two of the course students can progress on to a degree course in Information Technology and related areas such as: Digital Technology Solutions, IT Management for Business, Computer Networks Security or Business Computing and Entrepreneurship.Alternatively, you could pursue a career in any of the following:Software Development Games Development Business Systems Analysis and Design IT Project Management IT Helpdesk / User Support Technical Sales and Marketing Hardware and Software Installation and Maintenance Telecommunications and Networking Web Development Software Testing