Are you a complete beginner when it comes to using a computer? Have you just bought a computer or been given one as a present and would like to learn some basic IT skills? Then this is the course for you. Its aim is to help you feel more confident using the internet, email and downloaded applications such as Microsoft Office and Zoom. The course runs for three weeks, sessions last for 4 hours, and it is taught during school hours and during term time.
What will I learn?
There are a range of topics that will be covered during the course. The key themes are outlined as follows:
The following topics will be covered:
Lesson 1: You will learn how to:
- Set up a Proton email account [free]
- Use various applications of Microsoft Office e.g. Word, Paint etc.
- Email classmates with various attachments from Office suite
Lesson 2: Using the Internet:
- Make a PowerPoint about something of interest. Pictures/Photos/Cartoons etc which are copyright free from pixabay.com can be used.
- Use the projector to show this to classmates
- Send PowerPoint to classmates by email attachment
- Download PowerPoint and make additions to it
- Use Microsoft Publisher to produce an article of interest and similarly send to classmates by email
Lesson 3: Web browsing
- 20 interesting courses and activities that can be downloaded free on a laptop. This includes free family tree builder https://www.myheritage.com/family-tree-builder
Lesson 4: Simple Excel spreadsheet
- Learn how to create a spreadsheet to help with budgeting expenses.
- Online simulation current bank account. Online banking and Apps.
Lesson 5: What is Zoom?
- Introduction to online classroom which supports twelve. Class given assignment to write a short article about a chosen animal following internet browsing and research. It is supported with illustration/s and saved as pdf. The article is emailed to the online teacher by attached email. Everyone then joins the teacher in the online classroom and the articles are uploaded onto the virtual whiteboard for everyone to see and discuss.
Lesson 6: The world of free YouTube
- Build up a library of interesting video clips including music on your laptop. Learners will need to bring headphones
- Each lesson following the stated aims, there is follow up revision of the previously covered topics.
Study, Assessment and Qualifications
Assessment is informal, based on your personal targets and the learning outcomes will be undertaken regularly with you by the course tutor.
There are no entry requirements for this course.
Additional Costs and Information
There are no additional course costs. You will need a pen and notebook.
You may be entitled to fee remission if you meet the criteria. To find out more please contact us on 01225 756289 or 01225 756201.
Subject to change where required to meet learner needs.
This course will be held one day per week at our Chippenham campus on the below dates:
26.09.22-03.10.22 Monday 10:00-15:00
16.01.23-23.01.23 Monday 10:00-15:00
26.06.23-03.07.23 Monday 10:00-15:00