Industry placements are now a key part of Wiltshire College study programmes, giving our students the opportunity to develop industry and employability skills through a 315-hour placement. This is an exciting opportunity to gain industry experience and develop skills in a real working environment helping to prepare you for your next step towards employment or further study.
Whilst many young people engage positively with Industry Placements and manage this step towards their future careers very well, we also understand that this is not always the case. The College will work with parents and carers as appropriate to provide support and guidance, working together to help the young person progress.
The College will:
- Encourage and provide guidance to students to support them in finding a suitable Industry Placement.
- Undertake robust health and safety checks with employers prior to any placement taking place.
- Manage any issues or difficultities, which may arise whilst the young person is on placement.
- Communicate with parents and carers where any difficulty or barrier exists to find suitable opportunities
- Support the students in gaining valuable skills for the workplace, relevant to their chosen industry
We have dedicated Placement Officers on every campus, who support students and employers to make every industry placement a successful and rewarding one.
What we ask from you:
- That you encourage the young person to find their own opportunities with employers - this is an important step to help them practice job searching skills for future employment
- Suggest contacts for the young person to try - this might be family, friends, neighbours or work colleagues that may be able to offer wrok placement opportunities
- If possible, discuss the activities they are doing – students on placement are required to complete a log of their hours and the daily tasks they complete as evidence, your support in them complete this is greatly appreciated
Can you help?
We are always looking for new employers we can approach to discuss opportunities for all students to complete work experience and industry placements. The full range of courses we offer are available on the college website. If you have any contacts we can approach who may be able to help, please let us know.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org