Community and Charities' Guide to Work Experience
Work Experience / Work Placements are an integral part of all full time study programmes at the College. Many of our students have supported local and national and international charities and community organisations through work placements, projects and supporting events. As a college and part of the local community, we believe that giving students the opportunity to engage in social action not only improves their communication and employability skills, it also improves social awareness in their local area.
Benefits to you:
- Supporting young people to develop social awareness and employability skills they may need in their future careers
- Supporting the local community and economy by improving the employability skills and prospects of young people
- Raising awareness of your organisations work and aims
- The young person is studying relevant skills; they can actively participate in your organisation and support your existing staff
- Flexible working arrangements; students can attend on placement, support an event or complete projects remotely according to your organisations needs
- Students can bring fresh ideas to your organisation; it is a chance for the student to learn as well as an opportunity for you to consider them for employment, apprenticeship or volunteering in the future.
With dedicated teams of work experience and work placement staff on every campus, Wiltshire College is committed to support students and engages with charities and community organisations to make all employer engagement opportunities rewarding and successful. Many students have already developed their employability skills in this way and have progressed to paid employment and apprenticeships as a direct result of completing work experience or placement.
We have a simple and straightforward process to arrange work experience. In some cases, placements can be arranged by a telephone call or email. (Please note that for high-risk industries a short visit will need to take place)
We are always looking to expand our network of work experience and placement providers, and will work as flexibly as possible to accommodate your business needs. We have students studying a wide range of courses and our work experience teams are available to discuss ways in which we can support your organisation
What we ask from you:
- That you provide the young person with opportunities to learn industry, social and employability skills with you
- That you treat them the same as you do your paid employees and volunteers so yes, they will make tea and clean up if that is what you and your staff do
- That you support the student in completing a log of the hours and work they have achieved with you, and a reference if appropriate
- That you support the College by completing required documentation and being available to take part in telephone monitoring if required
Can you help?
In additional to accommodating students on work experience or a placement, we would like to hear from you if you are able to talk about your business to groups of students in college, and give them the benefit of your knowledge and industry experience.
If you are interested in supporting our young people, then please contact a member of our team, who will be happy to discuss options with you. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact your nearest campus on our main switchboard 01225 350 035 and ask for a member of the work experience team.