Waste disposal involves:
There are a lot of companies illegally handling waste, sometimes making huge profits while contributing to major pollution.
- Intensive use of energy
- Loss of materials and energy incorporated in the waste
- Use of land for landfill sites (these are rapidly filling up)
- Pollution of land, air and particularly water
- Nuisance to people living nearby
- Loss of money incorporated in the waste (materials purchased, processed and stored)
- Costs to contractors
- Landfill tax
There are legally-binding requirements on the disposal of all waste.
- General waste
- Waste that can be recycled (paper, bottles etc)
- Hazardous waste (fluorescent tubes, chemical wastes from curriculum areas such as beauty salons, printing and engineering)
- Electrical and electronic waste (IT, but also physics and other technical areas)
- Tyres (motor vehicle)