Diversity at Wiltshire College
Equality and Diversity is at the heart of everything we do at Wiltshire College.
Wiltshire College is a place where everyone can be themselves without fear of discrimination or harassment and be supported to achieve to the best of their ability. This means not just for our staff and students, but also anyone else who comes in contact with the college.
Equality and Diversity are often used in a single phrase but they mean different things;
- Equality is about fair treatment for all and everyone having the opportunity to fulfil their potential
- Diversity is about respecting and celebrating difference
Equality and Diversity is underpinned by the following general duties as described in the Equality Act 2010, the College having to have due regard of the need to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
We feel that anyone, regardless of background, opinion or need should be able to be themselves at the College and achieve to the best of their abilities. Equality and Diversity is celebrated by the college, through campus events and by ensuring that staff promote and embed this into their teaching. Staff will very much look at students as individuals and tailor training to their needs, whilst at the same time actively exploring some of these differences and celebrating them.
So that we can measure whether what we are doing is working we collect information. These are the forms that you will find when, for example, you apply to work for us or come and study here. These forms ask about some very personal information and we appreciate that some of that information is hard to share for people. However we can assure you that we will use this information for monitoring purposes only and in the strictest confidence. Please help us ensure accessible services for all by filling these forms in fully.